Monday, December 1, 2008

SVA Grad Show + Sketching + Kate Egan


NJ Transit to NYC 11/25/2008


Enlarged Image: HERE!


I went to New York City on Tuesday and saw the Graduate studies show for the Illustration as a visual essay program at SVA. I was really impressed with the work that I saw, but not only that, it got me to challenge myself to ask the question yet again. "WHAT IS ILLUSTRATION?"

The work looked more like fine art and not so much like illustration. I am so used to seeing work that is put into context with symbols, metaphors, ect that looking at the show I felt alittle uneasy. I was both curious and shocked by the work. That night I had the pleasure of sitting down and having dinner with Matt Cavanaugh to talk about the business of illustration as well as other topics. After we finished our burgers and copious amounts of tatter tots at the Trailer Park Bar/dinner, it was time for me to head back to Philadelphia to get ready for the Thanksgiving holiday and what was left to do work wise.


Kate Egan "The Vegan Eater" - Soph. Illustration Major at U Arts
For her random thoughts and drawings/paintings


Enlarged Image: Here



We will see how the week turns out, so I might do two portraits this weekend. I don't know yet, I have a few things I have to take care of before then.


Plus I have a job I did that I want to post but due to copyright I can't so in the next week or two I will be able too!

HAPPY MONDAY!

No comments: